Our Eye Album: Autumn

July 18, 2011 by

Are you starting to see certain patterns repeated? And also that in every Season, there is variability in colour and line pattern?

A very sincere tip of my hat to Color Me A Season founder Bernice Kentner who was first to deduce the eye colour and pattern association with Season. Her book, The Magnificent Eye, contains all the explanations you need to get started.

Soft Autumn

I have to talk a little, I can’t seem to stop myself. The Soft Autumn eyes above and below, notice how the colours are soft, meaning quite greyed. There is heat round the center, but it’s not intense. It also happens to be the same colour as the freckle above and is a terrific colour for hair or highlight. Your best, most real and natural hair colour is often in your eyes, unless they’re blue, of course. Look in there and find it.

A most interesting colouring below, from a woman who knew herself to be a Neutral Season, but with her dark hair, expected a Dark Autumn result from the draping. Soft Autumn can be quite dark, but we forget because most lighten their hair. On some it looks better, but not all.

The eyes below belong in the very beautiful face in the lower photo. Although her colouring appears darker, she is quite typical of the green and brown eyed Soft Autumn who does not colour her hair. In certain lighting, her eyes look much lighter as the yellow reflections are more visible. If the eyes are light and/or the woman lightens her hair, the overall impression is of a lighter person.  In both cases, it takes a correct draping to learn that the most important aspect of this colouring is not its darkness level. It is the lower saturation of all the colours. The colours in the eye do have a muted quality. Would her makeup look better if it were darker? Absolutely not. She looks simply perfect.

Soft Autumn eye 4 Soft Autumn eye 5 Soft Autumn eye 6

True Autumn

Very muted and very warm, says Autumn to me.

The eye above is True Autumn, with Dark Autumn below. They’re similar in that the heat (orange-brown) is now clustered round the pupil, an effect that gets stronger with more Winter. Though photographic conditions are different, the orange of the eye above seems hotter than the eye below. Dark Autumn is cooling off, since it contains a small portion of Winter, and the brown is more neutral.

With the orange-brown gathered near around the pupil below, this eye suggests a person whose colouring is closer to the darker side of Autumn. Compare the patterns with the top eye in this True Autumn group, which has the line-free ring that surrounds the pupil and the lighter and cooler colours, probably signifying a person closer to the lighter side of Autumn, or Soft Autumn. In both cases, the skin is still perfected by the True Autumn palette so they are both True Autumns. What seems fairly consistent among True Autumns is that the degree of contrast of the eyes relative to the entire person is medium, completely consistent with the degree of contrast in the overall swatch collection. The colours of skin/hair/eyes stand out from one another more than they  do in a Summer face but less than in a Winter face where eyes are usually more intensely coloured and so seem more distinct from the face. In a True Autumn, the eyes are more part of the face. The overall appearance is fairly blended, still a medium saturation and darkness group. What sets them apart is the maximal warmth of the colours.

All the eyes above have little definition of lines and spokes in the iris. As Winter comes in, more of these lines become evident, as can be seen in the Dark Autumn section below. Notice that the hazy smudged line patterns (or near absence of them) is becoming more defined in the Dark Autumn eyes and the colour is beginning to clear.

My thanks to the woman below for sharing photos of something we see less often, though it sure does happen – a blue-eyed True Autumn. We have so much to learn from the next 2 photos. In the top picture, we see 3 versions of the eyes. Without seeing anything else, I would get 3 different Season feelings – the inherent uncertainty of photography.

True Autumn eye 6

It’s only when we see the beautiful face in which the eyes belong that we can form a more complete understanding. Of the eyes above, which is the real eye? Probably the one on the left, where colours are muted, where blues are so warmed that there’s a lot of green. This kind of unexpected beauty is the same feeling as when we see silver-haired True Autumns. There’a magic and mystery in why something so  extraordinary can still be so right.
True Autumn eye 7

Dark Autumn

Brown eyes exist in every Season. I love them in Autumn, the Season that perfects repeating hair and eye colour, a very magnetic combination. Brown eyes are also harder (for me) to deduce line patterns. I see the spokes of Winter coming in below. I see heat as orange over yellow, and muted over beer bottle clear (might be same colour as a beer bottle, but without the transparency you’ll see in the upcoming Bright Winter eye). The beauty of this eye colour with this skin colour is quite remarkable, as the bronze intensifies at every level of appearance. How unbelievably gorgeous are the colours Nature put in us?

———-

Use of Images

The images contained in this article are of private individuals, not celebrities. I consider the permission for me to use them as a privilege. It is my intention to protect these women’s privacy and generosity. If you use any of the photos without permission, I will seek legal counsel. I do not want to have to reduce the beauty and detail of the photographs with watermarks. Some of these are photographs of children’s eyes. Please don’t use them.

This is a learning site. Please do use my words with credit back to the web page you copied and pasted them from. If you mix up my meaning and get the message wrong, feel free to omit any reference back to me.

———-

Comments

34 Responses to “Our Eye Album: Autumn”

1. Vicki on July 19th, 2011 7:45 am

I love this website! The eye pictures are beautiful and helpful. I’m having a problem telling the difference between green eyed with gold cluster soft summers and soft autumns. I have been analysed as both.

2. Jeanine Byers Hoag on July 19th, 2011 1:17 pm

My eye looks a lot like the dark autumn eye in color and pattern but softer, and though I haven’t been formally color analyzed, a certified color analyst did look at some of my pics & say she thought I was a soft autumn or warm autumn. I think I am a soft autumn. You mentioned at the top of this post that there can be some variability in color and line pattern. Would that account for a soft autumn eye having the same look as a dark autumn eye only softer?

3. Arlene on July 19th, 2011 7:05 pm

Ah, my eye is “famous” :P
    Thank you for posting the eye albums, Christine. They are all extremely fascinating! We hope you are enjoying every second of your time away, but we are all missing you at 12B and are eager for your return. :)

4. Christine Scaman on July 21st, 2011 8:10 am

Vicki,

Your Season won’t be sorted by eyes, there can be too much overlap between near (and even very far) Seasons. It will have to be done by skin. Which colour looks better on you (ask for someone else’s opinion)? Peanut butter (SA) or very dusty plum (SSu)?

Jeanine,

Sometimes, your description of same,but softer would hold true. But the other half of the time, it would not. Dark Autumn eyes do tend to have more line definition, but not always. And brown eyes are near impossible to call (for me at least).

Arlene,

Thank you! I quite look forward to getting re-engaging my colour conversations.

5. Melinda on July 21st, 2011 8:27 am

I agree, they are so interesting and just beautiful! I hope you are having a great time too!

6. Donna on July 25th, 2011 8:55 pm

I’m a little confused. If skin is the only factor in deciding one’s season, why show eye patterns?

Thanks,

D

7. Christine Scaman on July 27th, 2011 1:03 pm

Donna,

Because they’re beautiful and amazing. Skin is hard to talk about, so if you love colour, you look for it everywhere, and it never lets you down. Our eyes often show the exact pigments we’re made of in a way we can easily see them. As you say, they’re not in 100% correspondence with the skin, so for a correct analysis, we have to look at at skin. But nobody can deny the intricate perfection, like a stained glass window each of us was given at birth, like a fingerprint. And those very same colours are those of our planet home…was it all planned that way?
    Our beings are more than just our bodies. To me, our eyes are the connector, the interface, between our body and our more-than-the-body. We can talk about lipstick and the right blue top, but this stuff is so much meatier, you know?

8. Nynd on July 27th, 2011 5:17 pm

I love this stuff. Back to the essentials, it is.

In this system, eyes are the jewellery – and inevitably the perfect fit – the very stone, the very metal, exactly to scale and styled just right. What all this illustrates is how badly served we are by generalisations, and the extent to which every case deserves an indvidual hearing.

The big myth about PCA is that it’s for fashionistas – well, it is, of course it is, but it’s for everyone else, too, and if you want the keys to the temple of what works for you without serving a long and painful apprenticeship in changing rooms, family photos, makeup counters and trips to the charity shop with the stuff that was just never right, this is the redux, and if you haven’t got time for this sort of thing, if you want to shop and run, then you’re exactly the person who is going to most relish what you learn from doing it. Me, for one.

9. Krissy on August 2nd, 2011 5:39 pm

Christine, wonderful pictures and article. Thanks for including my Autumn eye :)

10. Melinda on August 6th, 2011 12:53 am

Thanks for adding mine also. I can’t help but continue to come back and look at these. They are just SO beautiful!

11. Brittny on September 30th, 2011 7:41 am

@Nynd – I agree, PCA is a great tool for everyone, no matter their budget or lifestyle. In fact, I’d go so far to say that people with lower incomes should be the smartest color shoppers of all. My mom was a great example of this – though we grew up being moved from Air Force Base to Air Force Base and had little disposable income, my mom always looked like a million bucks. Her secret was high quality consignment stores, tasteful makeup, and great self awareness of what colors actually suited her. PCA makes it that much easier to save your money from impulsive ‘I want to feel/look like ___ (insert celebrity/pop star here)’ and instead, to have a wardrobe and makeup that never looks clownish, high maintenance or trashy. If anyone wants examples of what not to do, walk down the Las Vegas strip at your leisure. ^_^

12. Jen on August 11th, 2012 9:29 am

I’m confused. I was analysed as a Soft Autumn but my eye colour is quite dark, a dark green with brown and hazel streaks. They look quite deep compared to my pale neutral skin and my hair is a neutral light brown. I feel like my eyes fit into the ‘deep’ category better but my hair and skin is soft and muted. Would I still be considered a Soft Autumn?

13. Sarah on August 11th, 2012 10:42 pm

Jen, I was analysed by Amelia Butler as SA (and she was definitely correct). My eyes are fairly dark brown, and Amelia mentioned during the draping that my eyes were darker than usual for SA. Interestingly, when I pixelated a photo of my iris, every colour was in the SA palette.

14. Jen on August 13th, 2012 5:29 am

Ok, that’s interesting to hear. This is what I mean though…compared to the SA eye pictures above, my eyes are a lot darker green/ hazel colour and stand out a lot against my very pale skin. I don’t know if you also have this contrast? What I’m confused about is SA isn’t meant to have lots of contrast: eyes, hair and skin should all be very similar. My eyes and hair are of a similar tone (eyes slighter deeper) but my skin isn’t. To me this is at least medium contrast which doesn’t seem to fit SA’s low contrast? What made Amelia Butler decide you were a SA despite your darker than average eyes?

15. Sarah on August 14th, 2012 5:51 am

The drapes! I have dark eyes and dark hair and light skin, I’m higher contrast than you’d expect for SA. But the SA drapes were hands down my best, nothing else came close.

16. Jen on August 14th, 2012 11:35 am

Ok, that makes sense! Having a higher contrast than the average SA, do you find the deeper colours in the SA palette work better for you than the lighter ones?

17. Sarah on August 15th, 2012 1:42 am

It’s hard to say because although my natural hair colour is dark, I have been colouring it blonde for the last eight years. It’s looking something like Gisele Bundchen’s hair at the moment. I prefer the lighter colours of the palette, but that might change if my hair was my natural colour.

18. Christine Scaman on August 22nd, 2012 6:39 am

The reason I don’t talk about contrast so much is that there are many levels within any Season. I see Light Spring with very dark brows, Light Summer with brown eyes, Dark Winter with very pale brows. Forget the contrast thing for finding Season. Do what Amelia did. Just get the harmony and skin correct. AFTER, use your inherent contrast level when you mix colours from your palette. Really, the palettes are 95% mix-and-match friendly, but if you have a more prominent natural contrast, then you might wear more lightest and darkest without inserting a medium element.

19. Emila on August 22nd, 2012 11:37 pm

I think I am a Soft Autumn. My eyes are grey-green. I’ve looked and I can’t see a warm ring around the centre, but I would consider my green-grey a warm shade, not a cool shade. They are more grey than anything. My son has very interesting eyes, they seem blueish from a distance but when you look close they are pure grey with a very dark ring around the outside and very slight tough of green or yellow around the pupil. Funny how my kids all have different eyes to my husband and myself, I believe they are different seasons to us as well – I believe my husband is a winter, our children look very summery. I wonder if anyone has studied colours in terms of genetics, it is something that really interests me.

20. Christine Scaman on August 26th, 2012 5:16 am

Emilia, from the info I’ve found, it seems that it’s been studied to the extent that the 3 human colouring pigments are known, but in terms of their specific variations and inheritances, and how they influence or are associated with other traits, I have never found. If you come across it, please do post the links.

21. Lindsay E. on September 28th, 2012 3:18 am

One thing that’s consistently nagged at me is the question of black. As a SA, black is apparently really bad for me.

I can certainly see that in a black poloneck I look moribund; but when I find an otherwise wonderful scarf which happens to have some black accents, I’m thrown into a dilemma – how strictly should I apply the “black ban”? is a little acceptable, on the grounds that in nature, the deepest shadows appear black?

And what’s been at the back of my mind is that in everybody’s eye, the pupil appears black (I say appears, because there’s no pigment there). The contrast with the iris is harsh.

22. Soliwo on January 8th, 2013 7:46 am

I thought my eyes were saying soft autumn since green dominates, not amber. However my eyes show more lines and the dark teal/coal ring doesn’t say soft too me. I had no clue that the Americans actually have a separate word for this phenomenon: hazel. I always thought that hazel = amber. Though it seems that everything and anything is called hazel, I find that some people even describe their blue eyes as hazel.

23. Hanako on January 18th, 2013 8:45 pm

Hello Christine, I’m a Japanese who’s eager to learn her coloring. Can a Spring person have eyes without evident lines/spokes? My eyes lack any spokes (maybe a few incomplete rings near the outer edge) but I think I can deal with clearer colors better than muted ones. BTW I really like your website and enjoy reading your thorough analysis (and some occasional laughs)!!

24. Christine Scaman on January 20th, 2013 6:25 am

Hanako, hello, welcome. Spring eyes don’t follow the rules quite as reliably as the other groups. Generally, the Light Seasons have a Summer-like eye. The True and Bright eyes are quite variable. So, yes, it’s certainly possible to be one of the 3 Springs without spokes.

25. Hanako on February 17th, 2013 7:02 am

Thank you so much!! I think I might be a Light Spring but of course can’t decide for sure. I think this is my limit of self analysis. (I tried it using my own clothes in a room with natural sunlight. Just so many confusing points like fabric texture/subjectivity problem etc. ) It feels like a waste of time… There ARE some Sci/Art color analyst in Japan but my dream is to go to SF and be draped by you someday!

26. Christine Scaman on February 19th, 2013 2:23 pm

I wasn’t aware of Sci\ART trained analysts in Japan. That’s interesting? Were they trained by Desmond in Hong Kong or in the US?

27. Hanako on February 20th, 2013 5:06 am

I am not sure, for their website doesn’t say from whom they have learned it first. Maybe the US, guessing from this short statement,
    ‘Trainees will be given certificate from Sci/ART Japan, which is the official Japanese representative of Sci/ART Personal Color System (Florida, U.S.)’
    Could’t find any other info on their source. Maybe not important for them, for it seems their main mission is to train/color analyze people using the system.

28. Deb on March 29th, 2013 12:39 am

I am keen to know if the blackness around the outside has anything to say about your season? I have DA eyes but with a nice dark rim at the outside. I’ve been draped as a DW and also a DA. I’m able to draw from both but have that slight bit of warmth making me more a DA.

29. Christine Scaman on April 1st, 2013 3:22 am

The question, Deb, is how dark is the rim. Most everyone has it, much easier to see when eyes are light. The only way to know if it truly is black, or which colour it is, is to compare it to specifically coloured drapes and see where the repeat actually is. Ethnic colouring may find black in DA, but in Caucasians, the rim is usually dark chocolate brown.

30. Jennifer on April 19th, 2014 6:56 pm

Have you ever seen a blue eyed dark autumn? I was draped as a SA, but so many more of the DA colors work for me in terms of contrast. Even my eyes have a slightly green skew in DA colors whereas when I was doing winter drapings early on they became steely and lifeless.

31. Christine Scaman on April 23rd, 2014 7:42 am

Sure, yes, Jennifer. They’re a like a dark teal, with a definite green component but more blue than green. I have not seen a pure blue DA eye.

32. Jennifer on April 23rd, 2014 8:15 am

Here is the absolute most accurate picture I can find of my eye. This is true to life, although I’m not 100% sure how it shows up on monitors other than mine or my phone(they look exactly the same on both however). http://imgur.com/B2jsnJf

33. Christine Scaman on April 24th, 2014 3:58 am

Beautiful eye, but I couldn’t even guess at Season. There are Winter and Summer characteristics. The line patterns are neither obviously blurred or very strong. There does appear to be some green mixed with the blue and perhaps a little yellow in the iris, suggesting a possible Neutral Season. From the eye, one might think more cool than warm, but the surrounding skin isn’t obviously predominantly cool. Would be an uncommon DA eye, but not impossible.

34. Corinne on April 24th, 2014 6:23 am

Jennifer – just butting in with my inexpert opinion. Beautiful eye, but look at your skin. Clicking on your avatar, it’s very spring-y in my opinion – smooth, clear, a translucency. I think you’re gravitating to DA over SA because you need more clarity/contrast, but have a look at some black and deep rusty red combo patterns and see how that really looks on you. I would imagine overwhelming and not in harmony with those pretty eyes. I can’t see autumn muted colors having anything to do with your skin. I think Christine has mentioned in a post somewhere that deciding upon SA and LSum in terms of heat levels can be a tricky one. I would easily see you as LSum over SA, but if I were you I would experiment with all of the spring-influenced seasons. A lot of people are draped inaccurately, myself included at one point.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!